Wednesday 15 November 2017

Warhammer Fantasy. 'Fell blade' Charlie Vs Capt. Guthook!!



Last Sunday Phil and I finally managed to squash our beef.


We decided to use the forces we would have fielded during the final battle.


This would mean that I would have a points advantage but as Phil texted me "Blood in the Badlands is never fair"!


I just wondered if it would be enough to tip the balance in my favour?

The Battle will be the 'battle for the pass' scenario.


The forces are deployed.




Phil wins the first turn and scuttles forward aggressively!


I hold back in the centre and left flank but drive forward with my right flank.




I target the Skaven Warp cannon with the comet of doom and then it misfires in the first turn!



Phil casts 'skitter leap' on his 'Rat demon' and it appears in my rear (oh er misses!).



Thankfully I am now a veteran to these shernanigans and move the Crocs over to redirect it's charge away from my big units.


Then my Hunter pivots on the spot and hits it between the eye's with his hunting spear.


Then my Ironblaster also pivots on the spot and shreds the Demon with cannon balls!


That's one major threat dealt with. . . . . fifteen more to go!



Thanks to their banner of flame and poisoned attacks the 'Man-eaters' have been chipping away at the Skaven abomination with their pistols.


With the Abomination now an immediate threat they charge in to see if they can finish it off!


My Firebreather on his flying carpet (!?!) also marches over the heads of the advancing Skaven and incinerates the Skaven engineer with Fireballs before it can throw that bloody orb thing!!



I was hoping to get another round in before I would commit my Ironguts against the Skaven horde.


Unfortunately that was not to be and I am forced to charge my Ironguts into the fully manned Skaven horde!



Over on the left flank my Ogre bulls clash with the giant rats.



Thankfully my Man-eaters see off the Abomination and it does not respawn!


Not they just have to see off the threat of the Plague monks (BLOODY SKAVEN!)!



The dreaded 'Doomwheel' moves up to support the Storm vermin and discharges its lightening bolts into the hard pressed Ironguts!


Thankfully I have cast 'Trollguts' and roll REALLY hot with the regen rolls.


Only one Irongut falls despite the mass of attacks!



Over on the left my Ogre Bulls start to chew through the giant rats.



In the past I would be doing my damnedest to pluck the Grey seer from the bell but this game I just want to tie down this horde unit so focus on killing the supporting Strom Vermin to win each combat on combat resolution therefore keeping the Ironguts in the fight.



Over on the right Phil charges his Plague monks into my Man-eaters!



The swirling melee in the centre continues.



Thankfully my Tyrant and his Man-eater body guard are up for a scrap and tear into the Plague monks!


As they turn to flee my Man-eaters fail to catch them.



Troll guts continues to keep the Ironguts in the fight but 'Fell blade Charlie' is taking a dreadful toll on my unit!


Despite the threat of Charlie I continue to focus down on the Stormvermin and absolutely decimate the horde leaving the bell stranded in the centre of the battle field.


I figure eventually 'Fell blade Charlie's' time will come.



Here is how the battlefield stands in turn three!



On my left the casualties remain light but I have no idea what to do with my Giant.



With nothing left to shoot at my Leadbelchers charge into the Doom wheel to support the Ironguts.



On the right I have the majority of my forces intact. Now the question is can I get them into the end game as planned to tip the balance?



In the centre Fell blade Charlie continues to add to his tally!



Thankfully the Leadbelchers start to rip lumps off the Doom wheel.



The last remaining threat is the giant horde of poisonous rats lurking at the back.


Phil refuses to take the bait of my lonely Firebelly on his flying carpet taking pot shots at them all game and turns towards my left flank.



I maneuver my second wave into position.



Fell blade Charlie is moving quickly to the top of my 'Shit list'.


With the Stormvermin destroyed my remaining Hero's turn their attention to the Grey Seer and Fell blade Charlie.



Back on the right my lowly Gnobblars have been exceptional and held on to the bitter end.


LOVE my Gnobblars!!!




This has given me the time to reform my lines and I figure now is the time to unleash the Stone Horn.


It hurtles through the plague monks without even a pause for thought!


Back in the centre my Leadbelchers have destroyed the Doom Wheel but Charlie continues to take his toll!


This makes me really pleased I kept my attention on the Storm vermin despite his threat as the same thing could have happened but I would also be facing a fully formed horde!


I forgot to mention Charlie had also finished off my Giant at this point without even breaking stride!!




My Slaughter Master finally decides 'enough is enough' and flees from Fell blade Charlie!!


So I do the honorable thing . . . . . . and shoot 'Fell-blade Charlie' in the face with a cannonball!!!!


Thankfully the little git fails his 4+ ward save and is blasted to kingdom come!


In a strange portent the standard falls off the Phil's screaming bell without being touched!


Talk about ill omens!



Back on the left Phil's rats make a charge on my Ogre Bulls.


They need eleven to make the charge . . . . . of course he rolls a twelve!



The Rats literally chew through my unit of Ogre Bulls in a heartbeat!



Back on the right Phil has rallied his remaining unit of Plague monks.



Showing unusual cunning Captain Guthook decides to sit back and unleashes the unit of Sabretusks instead.


The results are really satisfying!!



With the last turn I decide to crash the Stonehorn into the Screaming Bell. If nothing else it will make a cool photo.



Phil was always going to have an up hill swim in this battle due to the amount of forces I would be fielding against him. I had been playing the entire third quarter of the Blood in the Badlands campaign with the end game in mind and getting as much on the field as possible.


Phil's man (rat) of the match had to be 'Fell-blade Charlie' as it was an absolute beast in combat and accounted for nearly my entire unit of Ironguts as well as a giant and several hero's!


Real shame it had to take a cannon ball the face ;0)


Despite my advantage the game was a real 'tooth and nail' affair and if the odds were more even I think Phil could have squeaked the win on this one (pun intended).


Now we just have to wait and see what horrors he rolls out for Riotville LIVE 2018?


In other news Lee and I also threw down with a best of three game of Shadespaire.




The games flowed much quicker this time and these really are 45min to an hour games.


Hopefully I will be able to give Lee the option to play with fully painted Orcs next time.


Two really close games but my Stormcasts walked away victorious.

4 comments:

  1. Cracking report and loved the big finish, well done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was a really good ding dong battle.

      Delete
  2. Good game Riot and smashing report, "LOVE my Gnobblars!!!" classic, made me grin, cheers for posting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. That 'Wicked Wendy' you made looks absolutely fricking awesome.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...